Wednesday, December 17, 2014

BBG's Take On: Menstrual Cups

Menstrual Cups are an alternative form of period protection for your pants and undies. As it says in the name, it is a cup. It is a small, but somehow very big cup, in both subject matter and size. The reason I say this has to do with the insertion... Unlike a tampon, the way in is HUGE. Friggin large. Like innapro-pro large. Like it might hurt. In fact, it did hurt the first time I inserted it. It went in though and that's all that matters (is also what she said).

Anyways.... The cup is basically a cup that holds menstrual fluid. Menstrual Fluid like blood. So you fold it up and push it up there and VOILA! You have long lasting period protection... Kind of... You kind of have period protection. Like you should, but you may not if you don't know what you're doing which I don't think I did and yeah, but I definitely will use it again and hopefully with more accuracy than the first time.

Another thing I should mention is that I have a heavy flow on the second and third days of my period and it was hellish my first time on those days. WEAR A PAD on your heavy days the first few times. I assumed it would hold on my heavy days too and it held for a considerably shorter time and forced me to wear pantiliners and biker shorts for extra protection. However this was not the fault of the menstrual cup but my own fault because like tampons they will leak at their capacity and you will have a situation. 

The Pros: 

  1. You can use it for WAY LONGER than a tampon!
    1. EXCEPT on heavy flow days. Leave it in for the amount of time you would a tampon on heavy days or the blood will overflow. 
  2. Less dangeous chemicals INSIDE your vagina.
  3. Less dryness 
    1. Taking it out on the last day of your period is smooth as butter. If vaginas made butter, that is.

The Cons:

  1. Messy 
    1. You may encounter a bloody mess on your first time using it because it was in incorrectly or because you left it in for too long. 
  2. Requires you to be more comfortable with your body 
    1. This one is a tricky one. It can be hard to decide whether you are comfortable with your own vagina or not, but I wouldn't reccomend this for someone who does not use tampons, thinks vaginas are dirty and need to be cleaned with "feminine wash" or douching, or generally has no idea about the anatomy of their vagina.
TL;DR

I love it, but it is something you have to wrap your head around and it will help you in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment